Post# 34. A 5-star accommodation at an affordable rate.
HOTEL PICK: Royal Plaza Hotel – Kowloon, Hong Kong
This was not my first pick when I was searching the web for accommodations for our family’s trip to Hong Kong last December. I have initially booked two rooms at the YMCA Salisbury as early as July. I was planning to book the Disney Hotel by October. But due to the revision of our itinerary for the said trip, I was convinced that it would be best if we just stay in one hotel for a change. But the question is which hotel?
After a long contemplation and consultation with the Finance Officers (my mom and dad specifically *wink*), we decided to move out from our usual YMCA Salisbury accommodation to experience the Royal Plaza Hotel.
The Royal Plaza Hotel is a 5-star luxury hotel situated in Mongkok. It is connected to the Mongkok East MRT Line as well as the Grand Century Place Shopping Mall. It is currently undergoing renovation so expect the need to go the long way around the MRT and Mall. The noise brought about by the renovation is bearable.
We were initially booked for a Plaza Grand Plus Room (33 sqm with Nespresso Coffee Machine). Unfortunately, no such room is still available at the standard check-in time of 2PM. So Front Desk asked us if it’s ok with us just to take a one-room higher (which is the Plaza Premier Family-40 sqm but no Nespresso Coffee Machine) than what we originally booked. Goodbye Nespresso Coffee Machine😦.
Here are the photos captured during our stay at the Royal Plaza Hotel.
- Strategic Location. It has a connecting link to the Mongkok East MTR (below the shopping mall). The Grand Century Place Shopping Mall is a few steps away from the hotel’s lobby. A recommended place to stay for the shopaholics as stores/bargains are everywhere. The hotel is also a drop-off/pick-up point for those using the Airport Express service. Going hungry won’t be a problem as the Grand Century Place has numerous food offerings to keep you from starving.
- A++ Customer Service. I am hands down to the courteousness, effectiveness and efficiency of all the hotel’s staff (from the front desk to the concierge to the housekeeping). They really give you the proper attention and care you deserve as a guest of their hotel. When I was making a reservation for our departure airport shuttle bus which costs HKD160 per person, the concierge advised us just to take the cab to the airport as it is much cheaper. True to that, we only paid HKD 290 for the cab fare instead of shelling out HKD640. I was truly impressed as to their level of concern with their guests.
- Definitely Secured. Although the hotel is connected to the MTR and the Mall, you need not concern yourself from strangers roaming around the hotel premises. At night, there is a dedicated staff monitoring the lifts to the hotel rooms.
- Family-oriented. It’s difficult to find a hotel room that allows 4 adults in one room, especially in Hong Kong. So I was really happy when I found out that they have exquisite rooms that allow such occupancy. During our stay there, most guests are families traveling together. It’s like a Disney Hotel in Kowloon!
- Lovely Rooms. I believe this was brought about by the renovation that is currently happening in the hotel. The interiors gave off a modern, classy ambiance. The beds are oh-so-comfortable. And the bathroom? Simply to die for. I love the finishing!🙂
- Book Early. This is for you to avail the early bird promotion which slashes 25% off their best unrestricted rates. Although the down-side of this is that you have to pay the full amount of your entire stay upon booking. When we booked our room in October, we paid around HKD6,000. But when I checked around the last week of November, the rate was already HKD7500 plus some rooms were already sold-out.
Overall, we would be staying here again this December (dreams of staying at a Disney Hotel this year crumbling right before my eyes *sob sob*) along with the extended family.
Till the next post!